Sunday, March 2, 2008

March 2 Not My Problem

Do you know someone who doesn’t like you?
This used to really bother me. If I thought someone didn’t like me, I worried that maybe I did something wrong, maybe I was lacking something important. I worried about what they were saying about me to others.
Then when I was in my forties, which is the age when we start to figure out a lot of things about ourselves, I realized something. Some people just don’t like me, no matter what I do. Other people seem to think I’m great, no matter what I do. But I’m still me. I don’t do anything different with one person than I do with the other.
I realized that what they think of me is more about them than it is about me. Maybe they don’t like me for their own reasons. Since there’s nothing I can do to change that, it isn’t my problem.
Some people are annoyed that it doesn’t bother me but I spend a lot less time trying to make other people happy than I used to. It’s OK with me if someone doesn’t like me.

1 comment:

Peter Schum said...

A poem to encourage Peace:

Vitae Summa Brevis Spem Nos Vetat Incohare Longam
Ernest Dowson

They are not long, the weeping and the laughter,
Love and desire and hate:
I think they have no portion in us after
We pass the gate.

They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
Out of a misty dream
Our path emerges for a while, then closes
Within a dream.

Thanks for your entries - we enjoy them very much!